Skip to content

Done/doing (Week of May 4-May 10)


Done/doing is a recap of what we’ve done this week and what we have in our sprint plan for the week ahead. This post covers the week of May 4-May 10.

Today marks the return of our weekly done/doing posts. Our focus with has been, relentlessly, on accessibility and performance. This commitment is reflected in every aspect of our team’s daily work. To date, we’ve made 6,200 commits in GitHub, 99% of those work done by our team (the remaining 1% courtesy of bots pitching in to do their part). As always, this site is a work in progress, and we continue to strive to do more, and do better to help Californians.


  • Launched a round of feedback on across different gender, age and income levels to better understand how people's knowledge and information needs have changed from 1 month ago. Conducted 15 interviews on both mobile and computer to look at, to understand where users get their information, and to look through the site for comprehension, usability and general design.
  • Launched a special ux survey with 70 responses to get feedback on the speed accessibility content and design
  • Soft launched site with Vietnamese, Tagalog, Korean and Arabic translations. This is in addition to the already live browseable in human translated English, Spanish, Traditional and Simplified Chinese.
  • Created several options for a redesign of the homepage
  • Created design for the new resilience roadmap page
  • Edited page content for most pages in English published this week
  • Authored posts in WP, especially for urgent changes
  • Collaborated on homepage redesign, roadmap
  • Updated meta-descriptions for appropriate top pages to include "shelter in place" and "seniors"


  • Making search improvements: Adding questions and answers relevant to internal searches so that we can quickly surface specifically what a user needs. We have a prototype of this now, will iterate and compare it with vendor solutions next week before choosing and shipping what best serves users
  • Implementing redesign changes in phases
  • Documenting COVID design standards
  • Developing masks content
  • Finding where content has aged between Stages 1 and 2