We see a California where the state meets people where they are and everyone gets the services they need.
Because services reflect the voices of Californians, they’re easy-to-use and accessible. Technology fosters open dialogue that powers continuous cycles of improvement.
Our mission is to deliver better services to Californians through human-centered design and technology.
The needs and concerns of Californians are the heart and soul of our work. By putting people first, we avoid assuming what the best solution is. Instead, we design in response to people’s experiences, involving them in our process.
These insights shape prototypes for new and improved services. We use best practices in content design, engineering, and research to create services that are easier for everyone to use. We’re about creating big changes that have a direct impact on people’s lives.
We’re transforming how the State of California works. When we partner with departments, we build a culture of innovation by:
- Building up user research practices in teams
- Training them in human-centered design
- Improving how the state buys digital services
- Using and promoting proven, best-in-class platforms and tools
Our strategic goals
To accomplish our mission, we’ve set key goals for the Office of Data & Innovation (ODI).
- Establish ODI as a people-first innovation office that brings the value of human-centered design principles, tools, and methods to state teams
- Encourage a data and analytics-informed culture where insights are central to service improvement and evaluation
- Support development and implementation of sustainable innovation and culture change throughout state government
Our objectives guide the day-to-day work of ODI.
- Engage directly with Californians on an ongoing basis to understand their attitudes, needs, and concerns in relation to services and products
- Engage directly with California’s 150 state entities on an ongoing basis to address their needs and pain points, and identify opportunities for continuous improvement in service delivery
- Leverage research, analytics, and insights to design and prototype reusable or scalable human-centered solutions for service improvement
- Develop a first-party data and insights infrastructure that gathers new data and taps into existing data to bring the attitudes, needs, and concerns of Californians into service design and evaluation
- Provide direct support to departments to identify and help solve process, people, or policy issues, including consulting to provide analysis, insights, and recommendations
- Work directly with state agencies and departments, as service owners, to build capacity to support the long-term sustainability of service improvements, including training to provide practical how-to skills, new approaches, and new tools